Passion Struck: Twelve Powerful Principles to Unlock Your Purpose...

Human Change Communications Company books are available for purchase from our partners, Fiction4All.

Human Change Communications Company books are available for purchase from our partners, Fiction4All.
H3C titles are also available from most of your favorite online retailers including Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Barnes & Noble, Kobo and Smashwords, as well as many others.

African Books Collective

African Books Collective
Order Human Change Communications Company titles from our UK distributor, African Books Collective.

Enjoy a wide variety of best-selling books and magazines from Nigeria's Largest Digital Library

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Latoya—Sing a New Song with Empress of Gospel Music.


Ruyi: How would you describe yourself? Tell us something about where you are based, and how you came to be a song writer and musician.

I am Josephine Latoya Okunbor. I am married with two children. I am from Edo State. I studied Business Education at the Adeniran Ogunsaya College of Education, Ijanikin, Lagos state, Nigeria. My journey as a musician and song writer started when I joined the 144,000 music group many years ago.

Ruyi: Ah! I remember. Then I was the coordinator of the group and it was like 144,000 or nothing. How time flies! Yes, you are now a gospel artiste. You are aware that secular music is doing well in Nigeria. Davido, Wizkid and a host of other secular artistes are making cool hard cash from music nowadays. As you know, no reasonable human being wants to be left behind. Have you considered secular music? Some say it is a goldmine!

No, I have not considered it. Well as for today, it is gospel music all the way.

Ruyi: It’s all right. I know a lot of popular secular musicians today who were once choristers in their church. So I won’t be surprised if someday you make the transition because you are also a chorister in your church. And you are doing well. Brandy, Snoop Dogg were once in the choir. The world is a small place. Anything can happen, Latoya! Once the opportunity comes, I expect you to take advantage of it. Anyway, that’s my candid opinion. So let’s move on. Tell us something about the songs or contents that you have written or created and the story behind them.

Most of my songs are true story of my life, the challenges that I have gone through and how God helped me to overcome. My life is a testimony. My life is in God’s hands.

Ruyi: Life is good and God is good. What place does music, song writing or content creation hold in your life?

Well, I always tell people who care to listen to me that once you take away music from me, I will cease to exist. Music, writing songs and content creation holds the greatest part of existence in me.

         Ruyi: I am a writer. So I understand you. The music industry in Nigeria is very tough and challenging. I have seen promising artistes fall by the way side due to one reason or another. It appears if you don’t have money to promote your songs, you will never be heard. So it is winner takes all. As a Gospel artiste, you have your challenges too. People hardly want to pay for gospel shows. Now tell me. What marketing techniques have been most effective for you? People need to know how you have been making money from your songs.

         That for now is in the hands of my producer.

Ruyi: Who is your producer?


       Ruyi: Ben Jossy? I know him. We are friends. He knows a lot about the music industry in Nigeria. You are in safe hands, Latoya!

Thank you, Ruyi!

         Ruyi: You are welcome. What do you think makes a song or content sell, or makes a person buy it?

Creativity, instrumentation and choice of words.

         Ruyi: What’s the most moving or affecting thing a reader or fan has said to you.

I remember recently someone said, “Ma, your songs have immensely blessed me and healed me from sickness and discouragement. Keep it up!”

Ruyi: What are your favourite three songs and why?
i.       Sing a new song
ii.      Alashe nla
iii.     Oluwa mi
These songs speak a lot about my background.

Ruyi: Who are your favourite three musicians and what do you like about them?    
i.       Cece Winans
ii.      Juanita Bynum
iii.     Frank Edward
I love their uniqueness, passion and lyrics of the songs.

      Ruyi: Everybody knows Frank Edward and Cece Winans are prolific singers. I hope someday you will be like them. Tell us about the songs that you are currently working on and their progress.

I will be releasing a single with my friend and gospel minister Dayo dayspring anytime soon. Title of the song is “Oba Ni Jesu”.

Ruyi: What challenges do you think are faced by musicians, song writers and content creation like you and what’s the worst thing about the industry according to you?

There are lots of talented musicians out there but they have no sponsors. And even the established musicians are not helping the upcoming artiste to fulfill their dreams. I would have come into lime light long ago but no one was ready to help me. Not until I met my Pastor, whom God has used to help me fulfill this dream.

          Ruyi: Ah! I like to have that kind of pastor as a friend. God bless him. He is a good man. Apart from singing, song writing, what goals do you want to achieve in life?

I want to help the needy and be a motivation to many, especially young people.

Ruyi: Is there anything else you would like to mention?

We need the church, government and corporate bodies to assist young people in Nigeria to achieve great things in their endeavour.

Ruyi: Okay. You are right. All of us need support. We can help one another to achieve great things. What is the title of your recently published or released song? Please include an extract of the song here.
           “SING A NEW SONG”
My mouth is full of your praise Oh Lord
For all the things you have done for me
I can only bring to you a song of praise.

          Ruyi: What message do you want to share with budding musicians, song writers and content creator?

Let your songs be creative and meaningful. Be prayerful and work hard.

        Ruyi: Thank you, Latoya! Where can your fans find you on social media?