Passion Struck: Twelve Powerful Principles to Unlock Your Purpose...

Human Change Communications Company books are available for purchase from our partners, Fiction4All.

Human Change Communications Company books are available for purchase from our partners, Fiction4All.
H3C titles are also available from most of your favorite online retailers including Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Barnes & Noble, Kobo and Smashwords, as well as many others.

African Books Collective

African Books Collective
Order Human Change Communications Company titles from our UK distributor, African Books Collective.

Enjoy a wide variety of best-selling books and magazines from Nigeria's Largest Digital Library

Thursday, April 27, 2023

BOOK EXCERPT: WHY ALWAYS ME? BY OMORUYI UWUIGIAREN


why always me?



 BOOK EXCERPT:

Title: Why Always Me?
Tom wore a long face and trudged on. His trousers had faded and clothed with dust. Reaching the threshold, he inserted the key into the lock and embraced his house. He hissed and slammed the door behind him, for the evening was the worst day of his life. He had to work late again even though it was Christmas Eve. But now, at last, the hammer had fallen on him! As soon as he was indoors, Tom sank into his favorite chair. After a time, he sat up and drew his rickety table. The little man lit up the room and his face looked pale in the lamplight. He took the letter out of his pocket. He lowered his bifocals. He glanced above them at the letter and a deep melancholy settled over his spirit. The company had sacked Tom and it was a bitter pill to swallow. “WHY ALWAYS ME?” he banged the table.
Tom had disposed of the letter when he heard a faint knock on the door. “Who’s there?”
“It’s I, Priscilla,” her voice was as soft as the morning breeze.
Tom masked his anger with an exaggerated smile and opened the door. He said a friendly good evening to her. “I am sure you came to inquire why I did not attend the church service. My employer asked me to work extra hours…”
“Oh, I understand,” the lady smiled as Tom led her into his humble home. Priscilla sat on a chair with her back to the wall. She placed her hands on her thighs and glanced at the little man. “I have good news for you.” She revealed, “God told me that you have lost your job. But He will use this setback to turn your life around.”
A ray of hope flushed over Tom’s suntanned face as he sat up and muttered, “Amen!”
She closed her eyes and faced the ceiling. Priscilla brought her hands together, making recitations as if she was praying to a powerful god. Then she paused and turned to Tom. She swallowed hard and said, “The Company downsized to reduce cost…”
“Yes. The manager told me they will downsize. But I never saw this coming,” Tom nodded almost a million times. “I didn’t plan for it. I am confused!”
“I understand,” the prophetess said. "You can bounce back. I have a secret that will make you rich. Do you want to hear?”
“Yes, oh yes!” the little man answered. He straightened his chin and looked at her face.
“You have an eighteen carat diamond ring you inherited from your father. It’s wrapped up in a handkerchief in the right-hand corner of the third drawer. God said you are to get it and give it to me!”
Tom gasped and beat his chest. “Ah, my heirloom? I have never told anyone about it. How did you know I have it under my roof?”
Priscilla laughed, “God told me now. It’s the spirit. Do as he had said and you will be fine!”
The little man chewed his lower lips as he imagined that his setback was temporary. He would live in luxury for the rest of his life if he turns the diamond over to Priscilla. Then he sat back and scratched his head. She was right about the diamond in the drawer, he thought. He decided to give this a try. Everything that she had said was true. As if he was under a spell, he rose to his feet and moved to the corner, and then returned to the table with the heirloom. Priscilla grabbed it and placed it in her pocket. “I like people who obey God,” she smiled and gave him a hug. “If you need another hug, just ask,” she heaved. “Follow me!”
“Where are we going?” Tom yawned and shifted his weight to one leg.
She rubbed her hands together. “I want to introduce you to a friend. If you have a little money, he knows how to multiply it many times over!”
Tom dreamed of the money. He said, “Thank you. I will be forever grateful, Priscilla.”
Priscilla held his hand and they walked out of the house.
Order Paperback:
BN:
Takealot, South Africa
WALMART:
FICTION4ALL:
EBOOK:
Smashwords:
SCRIBD:
ThriftBooks:

No comments:

Post a Comment