Passion Struck: Twelve Powerful Principles to Unlock Your Purpose...

Human Change Communications Company books are available for purchase from our partners, Fiction4All.

Human Change Communications Company books are available for purchase from our partners, Fiction4All.
H3C titles are also available from most of your favorite online retailers including Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Barnes & Noble, Kobo and Smashwords, as well as many others.

African Books Collective

African Books Collective
Order Human Change Communications Company titles from our UK distributor, African Books Collective.

Enjoy a wide variety of best-selling books and magazines from Nigeria's Largest Digital Library

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

WORK IN PROGRESS: NOWHERE TO HIDE

By Omoruyi Uwuigiaren
ldsomoruyi@yahoo.ca

I went into the printing press and I have to tell you that it was the best press I have ever seen in my life. It was beautiful. There were customers. There was help on the floor. One of the staff approached me. He greeted, “Good evening sir.” Smile paraded his face.
“Good evening, young man,” I replied, beaming with confidence. “Where is your boss? I came for my books. Are they ready?”
He shifted his weight to one leg. He smiled and threw out a question, “Are you Mr. Robert?”
“Yes!” I nodded affirmatively.
“My boss is not in the office but he left a note for you!” He handed the letter over to me and moved to one side.
Without wasting time, I browsed through the piece. In a couple of minutes, I was done. I let go a mighty heave, raised my head and turned to the young man. “Thank you, I got the message. Where are the books?”
“They are over there,” he pointed to a corner in the press. “Please, follow me.” We walked to the corner where the books were neatly packed.
 I considered myself the happiest visitor. My first book was finally printed and they are now within my reach. Beautiful prints and my world has become an intriguing place. It was the best any first time author could ever ask for.  
I was starting a new life altogether. Every turn taught me a lesson. I was richer in wisdom but I could not tell if my new endeavour would turn to be a gold mine that I could be mining forever. My passion was great. It was taller than the pair of legs that carried me.
 Some of the valuable lessons will certainly stay with me forever. If I do not make them applicable to my everyday life, I will be a loser and it might haunt me for the rest of my life. We ought not to look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors and for profiting by dearly bought experience.
The process of getting the book published was turbulent. I met folks who challenged me. They hit me hard and I almost gave up. It was obvious that it was up to me if anything remarkable would happen. If I were not forthcoming with money as quickly as possible, my job would be thrown out of the window. I was a man hunted by bandits who are all demanding for his neck at the same time and guns pointed at his head. They made me tough.
Most people want their lives to keep improving, yet they value peace and stability at the same time. People often forget that you cannot improve and still stay the same. Growth means change. Change requires challenging the status quo.  I had stumbled on a path that I would be glad to see where it would lead me.
The printer had done his job. The books were glossy and neat. Not everyone will be this meticulous given the short time given to deliver. My life was a festival. The young man joined me and we packed the books. We moved all of them to my car outside. After the excruciating exercise of arranging the books in the boot of my car, I was exhausted. I thanked the young man and he walked back into the office.
I dusted my clothes and got the car keys from my chest pocket. My rickety legs carried me to the driver’s seat where I settled into the car and fastened the seat belt. My eyes travelled quickly about to see if everything was in place. The books had settled in nicely in the boot, and there was no stone left unturned, so I ignited the engine and drove off. 

Omoruyi Uwuigiaren