Passion Struck: Twelve Powerful Principles to Unlock Your Purpose...

Human Change Communications Company books are available for purchase from our partners, Fiction4All.

Human Change Communications Company books are available for purchase from our partners, Fiction4All.
H3C titles are also available from most of your favorite online retailers including Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Barnes & Noble, Kobo and Smashwords, as well as many others.

African Books Collective

African Books Collective
Order Human Change Communications Company titles from our UK distributor, African Books Collective.

Enjoy a wide variety of best-selling books and magazines from Nigeria's Largest Digital Library

Monday, August 17, 2020

BED OF ROSES from the work in Progress Love Birds

 By Omoruyi Uwuigiaren

omoruyiu.blogspot.com


Life is no bed of roses. I dressed up in clean clothes. The blouse was stunning see-through, skirt fits closely around the waist, slightly wider at the bottom and sleek heel shoes. It was elegant, graceful and showing the shape of my body. One last time, I stood before the mirror, checked my face, body and clothes. My narrow hips were powerful and well developed. Everyone has where he or she belongs. Today, I belong to the mountaintop. There was a chair and table beside the large mirror. I sat down on the chair and the table was within my reach. I pulled the drawer, took out my watch and wore it on the right hand. It fitted nicely on the wrist that sticks out. I gently rose to my feet, grabbed my handbag, hung it on the shoulder and walked out of the door.

I connected a taxi that took me to where Jimmy asked us to meet. It was a nice place, especially if you are decent and on a mission. My past relationship was taking its toll. I felt used. If I do not discipline myself, I will be the loser. A man will bruise the petals and walk out the door. My body is all I have. I must cherish it. 

I turned up few minutes late at the popular restaurant. My eyes travelled about. I saw him seated in the corner perfect for two. I wanted a situation where he had to wait for me and that achieved. I want to be in control. I was not willing to start on a wrong footing as I did with Dalmos. I went past a few seats and arrived at the table.

My new friend finally noticed my presence. He sat up. His face broke into a gap-toothed smile as I took the empty seat before him. “Good evening, Jimmy,” I greeted and settled in nicely into the seat. Gently I placed my handbag on the table.

“Good evening, Lizzy,” he had a beautiful smile. “You are gorgeous. I thought you were not going to come. Thank you for accepting my invite.” He sat back and looked straight at me. He threw out a question, “What do I offer you?”

“Soft drink,” I replied. “I do not want much.”

“Okay.” He raised his head, signaled the waiter to our corner. The man arrived quickly. Jimmy ordered for drinks while I watched him closely. His shirt and pair of jeans looked good on him. His outfit was not a tragedy. He was not boring, weak and unfashionable like a deformed little goat. As the man disappeared from sight, he turned to me, he disclosed, “I got something for you. I think you will like it.” He brought out a pack. He opened it, placed it on the table and pushed it to me. He sank into his seat, with his eyes on me. His face beamed with smile and crossed his arms over his body.

I pulled the case to my side and then looked closely. It was a portable timepiece, attached by silver metal bracelet. It was a modern wristwatch featuring solar charging and atomic time reception capabilities. It was befitting! Getting such a gift on my first date was wonderful. I could not believe this would happen. It was a gorgeous metal, sparkling like a diamond ring. “Where did you get this?” I adjusted, raised my head and asked.

He smiled, he shook his head and answered, “Does it matter?” he scratched his head.

“I know it does not but I just want to know,” Now we were smiling at each other as if we have been friends for forever. I sat up, examined the watch again. I flung a glance at him and said, “Thank you!”

He turned away, avoiding eye contact. He nodded almost a million times and disclosed, “Well, I am happy you like it. I initially ordered it from the internet as a gift for my sister whose birthday is next week. However, arriving here, I changed my mind. I will get her another one in two days. The wristwatch is for special people. How much is a diamond ring worth? Your gift is top quality. Since you like it, you can keep it.”

“Thank you!” I exclaimed.

The waiter’s arrival disrupted our conversation. He served us drinks. Jimmy and I drank quietly in the belly of the evening. This was the first time that I would be completely happy with a male friend. We have barely just started the journey. It is already looking green on all sides. Jimmy ticks all the boxes. He was an upgrade of Dalmos. However, these are early days. I must not throw caution to the wind.  

 


ALSO READ


The book of Iniquity



BAMBOOKS: The largest 

digital library in Nigeria



The 7 Habits of Highly 

Effective People by Stephen R Covey






No comments:

Post a Comment